Townsville City Council is the managing authority with regards to general public water craft usage on Black Weir.
Due to high demand, all water ski vessels require a permit to operate on Black Weir. General boating and fishing vessels do not require a permit. The Townsville City Council system allows you to book up to seven days in advance.
Each permit is valid for one hour and users are able to book up to three hours (permits) in one day.
Loam Island boat ramp facility is a single boat ramp with parking capacity for 10 cars with trailers.
Water craft use on Black Weir
- Freestyle jetskiing is not permitted on Black Weir, in accordance with Queensland Maritime Regulations.
- Jet skis may be used for water skiing under general water skiing conditions.
- During rowing club regattas all vessels must give way to rowers and must comply with a six knot/no wake limit while traversing the rowing course. Permits will not be issued for watersking in the Loam Island Circuit during rowing regattas.
- Council regulatory officers will issue infringement notices to watercraft operators who breach local laws, particularly in relation to excessive vessel noise, negligant use of vessels and operators who do not hold a valid permit.
- Operating hours for motorised water sports
- Motorised Water Sports on Black Weir are allowed at specified times only.
- Hourly permits are available daily between 9am to 6pm. Users are allowed a maximum of 3 permits per day.
- Vessel numbers are limited for the safety of all river users.
- Any person not intending to use a booking must complete an online cancellation. Failure to cancel an unused booking online may result in a one month ban on the person/vessel involved.
For more information, please phone the TCC Customer Service Centre on 1300 878 001.